Wednesday 19 January 2022

SALLY....PART 255....AND THEN I WENT AND TOOK MYSELF SOMEWHERE !

 


I haven't driven on a motorway for close to twenty years but today I had to get to the south of Leeds on a business trip and left just after 7am taking sandwiches, a flask, a blanket in case I broke down or got caught in a snowdrift and my wife's mobile phone so I could get talked there by Google Maps Sat Nav...except I couldn't get the voice to speak to me because I am just so technically useless !

Anyway I'm a man and don't need sat nav or maps !

I didn't take MY phone because it only had 5% charge in it after being charged all night !

Yes it WAS plugged in...it just didn't charge !

It's almost impossible to believe how crowded the roads are these days and the first twenty miles was a crawl through roadworks, in the dark with dangerously narrow lanes, at fifty or would have been if anyone had bothered going over forty...something I simply don't understand !

Despite it being dry the road surface was wet, if not muddy the whole way and my freshly filled washer bottle finally ran out after a hundred miles as I drove through the filthiest conditions I have ever driven through, made worse by a blinding sun after it rose at 8:45, as lorry after lorry covered me in brown road spray !

And what a nightmare trying to read road signs in order to cross over to the M62/M621 but I miraculously managed it , only taking the wrong exit off a local roundabout at the last moment because of the conditions !

Then the journey back with the sun behind and the road surface now dry was a doddle or would have been if drivers hadn't resolutely clung to the middle lane doing sixty instead of moving over into the slow lane, ignoring my constant flashing headlights and non-stop hooting as I passed, pointing to the slow lane before swerving in front of them to demonstrate where they should be...all to no avail !

Each one looked at me with complete bewilderment in their eyes and stayed right where they were ! 

Note, I haven't mentioned gender as there were a few old men too ! 

And if diesel at £1:49 a litre wasn't expensive enough, on the motorway it was £1:68....daylight robbery !

Finally, I actually washed the car by hand once I'd got back which means it's had three washes in eight years !

No comments:

Post a Comment