Wednesday 11 March 2020

SALLY...PART 223. THERE ARE NONE SO BLIND........

I had to return to my Dispensing Optician today to ask him why my left eye is off a bit and he demonstrated to me that with one lens fine and one with a little cataract building up they could only make one eye perfect whilst the other remained a little hazy at long distances !

"It's all to do with the cataract not allowing an image to focus on the retina !" he said, illustrating his words with a similar drawing to mine.

The clear lens at the top allows the image to focus onto the retina whereas the cataract in the lower sketch won't allow a sharp image to focus on the retina but just in front of it ! My readings of 66 and 675 mean NOTHING to me !

Anyway I showed this sketch to my wife this evening once I'd got her to briefly look up from the latest ScandiNoir !

"Are you saying that the pupil is a hole ?" she asked, with her eyes on her screen !

Shirley didn't know that the pupil was a hole that light rays passed through !
 "Yes !" I replied incredulously.
 
"I never knew that !"

"You never knew that the pupil was a hole that light passed through ?"

"No."

"Well how did you think that light got through to your retina ?"

"I don't know, I've never thought about it !"

I am now back in my room and it occured to me that when we first met I pointed romantically at the full moon as we lay on Brighton beach listening to waves breaking on the shore and said, "I think he's smiling down on us tonight !"
"There's a man in the moon looking at us ?" my then girlfriend asked !

"Who's looking down at us ?" she said, sitting up and destroying the atmosphere I'd spent at least a minute building up !

"The man in the moon !" I murmured, urging her to return to a more comfortable prone position !

"There's a man in the moon looking at US ?" she asked, refusing to lie back down !

"Of course there's a man in the moon, look, there he is !"

"Well I've never seen HIM before !" she said after putting on her glasses which I didn't know she needed !

I could have walked away but I had other things on my mind !

My wife continued to watch her programme and I went back to sewing THIRTY SEVEN wallets !

No comments:

Post a Comment