Friday 27 July 2018

SALLY...PART 207. NO ONE COULD BE FOOLED BY THIS SURELY ?

THE BLOOD RED MOON LAST NIGHT !
My sister in law was over from Spain with her daughter yesterday so the fridge is now FULL of Marks and Spencer's finest foods !

Even IT, the fridge that is, keeps letting out gasps of surprise at the quality and price of foodstuffs it's never held before and didn't know existed !

I'm sure I heard it say, "What the #### is Haddock Chowder Soup when it's in town ?"

It also means that meal portions are much smaller as a packet with three very thin slices of ham, costing a king's ransom has to be shared between four as does a packet of  five tiny 'Princess Charlotte Water Boiled New England New Potatoes Sluiced In Real Butter' !

Still, we bulked up on a largeish 'Prize Suffolk Radish' each and a 'Lancashire Tenderleaf Lettuce Leaf' which again had to be divided into four !

Everyone praised my wife's culinary skills as she whipped her kitchen scissors across each packet !

Cutting a single small 'Luxury Apple Slice With A French Flour Based Topping' required great skill and we tossed for the raisin, which I won but then had to hand over when my wife gave me one of her looks and I had to pretend that I didn't like raisins anyway !

After our meal my sister in law suddenly announced that there was to be a rare blood red moon between the hours of 8:30 and 10 and that she would very much like to see it.

Well our long hot eight week summer had literally just come to an end and we were experiencing an almighty thunder storm with huge banks of black cumulus clouds releasing lakesful of rain whilst sheets of lightning turned the entire sky varicosed white !

But she didn't understand that the moon would have been BEHIND the clouds and therefore invisible...see Father Ted 'Near and Far Away'...and kept peering out of the drenched patio doors.

Finally, I could stand it no more and grabbed a felt tipped pen and piece of card and bluetacked a blood red moon onto the door and called out, "Remarkably Debbie, the blood red moon IS visible through the cloud !" and she came excitedly running down the lounge with her Iphone in hand, snapping shots and shouting out, "Oh my God, look at it Shirley, it's magnificent !"

This is true and what's more she kept going back for another look !

She is a Professor of Astronomy in her adopted country and I didn't have the heart to tell her what I'd done !




No comments:

Post a Comment