Sunday 14 October 2012

Sally-Part 92. THE MOST HEARTBREAKING LETTER THAT I HAVE EVER READ !

I found this letter many years ago .

My paternal grandmother, who I never saw often enough and who used to smother me in wet kisses lived to be very old, probably ninety two and to me was just 'Grandma' .

She came from Poland and spoke with a gutteral Yiddish accent that no-one recorded so all I have is her voice in my head and images of her crying whether she was happy or sad !

Her house in High Wycombe smelt of chicken soup and baking cakes !

But Grandma Myers had been married before and had two sons by her first husband, Daniel.

My father came along ten years after this letter was written and I'm reproducing much of it, despite my lack of religious belief because I find it unbearably moving !

Daniel was obviously awaiting surgery from which he did not recover .

September 17th 1907.

" Merciful God be good to my poor little orphans. Let their lives be a blessing to them. Grant that they may not grieve for their father who had to leave them. Bless, watch and guard over them and keep evil away from them.

I leave it to you, my dear wife, to see that you teach them when they get old enough, please God,to say Kadish after me.

Let Simon know that I forgive him freely and also Moss.

Have my watch repaired, no matter what the cost and keep it until Hymie is old enough to wear it, then give it to him as a keepsake from me. It was given to me as a keepsake and that's why I want Hymie to have it.

I would like you to keep my ring for Mossy when he is old enough to wear it.

Only the Almighty give you strength to carry out all my wishes especially in regard to the children.

It almost breaks my heart to have to write to you like this but it is for the best. You or I would not be able to stand it if I were to tell you all I have written here. It would have upset us too much.

I place myself in the hands of Almighty God and hope and pray that He will see me through this operation and that I will soon be home with you all again.

If not all I can say is, His will be done.

Anyway whatever happens don't tell the children the truth.

Don't break their little hearts.

Look after them well, even if you marry again and have more children, don't make any difference between mine and the others.

Kiss the children for me very often and tell them that Daddy sends those kisses for them.

My everlasting love to you, Daniel Davidson. 17th September 1907.

No comments:

Post a Comment